Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I recently began delving into Twitter. I have been a member for a while but not really used it. I just didn't feel cool enough I guess. Why in the world would people want to read what I have to say? I am a teacher by profession and have no less than 15 kids in a classroom trying to ignore me at times. They would love to have a delete button or a way to scroll through my lectures more quickly. I went to a conference with my brother a few months ago that was based on the Courageous movie. Needless to say, God lit a fire under me that has not diminished. My wife can tell a big difference as my role as husband has...let's just say I'm more in tuned with her. Just the other night she asked me what she could do to help me. I replied, "Honestly, I am just focusing on what you need right now from me." Yep, I got some bonus points with that one. Well, on Twitter, I found something called the National Fatherhood Initiative and have begun following it. This week they are starting something called "Be a Gold Medal Dad!" Each week they will send out a checklist to their subscribers detailing goals to achieve with your kids and family. For instance, this week there are seven challenges and if you get 1-3 marks, you win bronze. If you can get 4-5, you leave with silver. However, if you get 6-7, you take home the gold. Needless to say, I am competitive. You can ask anyone who knows me personally, if I am in it, I am in it to win it. I stress to my students at school if you are going to do something, try to be the best at it. At least if you fail, you are still among the best. So, here is my challenge to myself. Each week, I am going to detail my progress in achieving all seven goals. I am not sure how often I will post this week. It might be daily or sometimes more than once a day. Either way, the winner is my son Brighton and my wife Karen. Join me on this journey with my family and let's discover together what changes occur. It will be entertaining at times but who knows, you just might learn something along with me. God bless from this "future" Gold Medal Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment